When we think of a kitchen hutch, what seems to come to mind? Maybe the old china collection from Grandma, curly corbels and ornate kitchen doors. All of these may look too old-fashioned in your modern IKEA kitchen. What can you do to maximize your storage space without sacrificing the modern look you want to keep in your kitchen, then?
The solution? Stack AKURUM kitchen cabinets in an unconventional way for a modern IKEA kitchen hutch, like we did in this design:
Which IKEA components can be used for this modern kitchen hutch?
A few more notes about this modern IKEA kitchen hutch:
- AVSIKT glass doors with an aluminum frame are purchased individually. For example, if your cabinet is 30″ wide, you’ll need to buy two 15″-wide doors.
- For a custom look, we matched these dark cabinets with a stainless steel toe-kick.
- To give the illusion of deeper cabinets, we installed the two side “columns” of cabinets 3″ forward and covered exposed sides and gaps with 4 different 3′x8′ panels.
- A total of 12 wall cabinets were used for this hutch area.
- GNOSJO doors can also be used as accent doors in a light-colored kitchen. You can also mix these with ABSTRAKT doors in a white or smoked glass finish.
- This hutch has a maximum depth of 15″. This is great news for smaller kitchens!
- Clear glass doors are not recommended because IKEA only provides cabinet frames in a white or birch finish. (Unless you live in Canada, where dark cabinet frames are offered. If this is the case, we’re jealous!)
- Recommended IKEA handles: ORRNÄS, LANSA and VARNHEM.
- If you’d like, top it off with a flat molding. AKURUM plinths can be used for this purpose.
- Consider using lighting for the interiors of the glass cabinets. We like the INREDA and DIODER LED lighting strips.
In this kitchen, the hutch doubles as a display and storage area, providing lots of space to safely keep canned goods and collectibles. The GNOSJO doors stand out not only because of their color, the texture adds visual impact along with the aluminum glass doors.
For more custom cabinets you can create with IKEA components, check out these other blog entries:
- Personalize your IKEA kitchen with a built-in hutch
- Design a custom kitchen mantle with IKEA cabinets
- An IKEA entertainment center with AKURUM cabinets