An IKEA kitchenette in a finished basement has some great advantages. Maybe you are housing guests, in-laws, a nanny, or you have a special retreat to watch movies with friends. You can fetch snacks and beverages in seconds, with the fridge and oven just a few steps away.
A kitchenette downstairs allows privacy as well as extraordinary functionality in your home. It’s an affordable project when you use IKEA cabinets to complete it at only $2,184 (including sink, countertop and faucet).
For this specific design, we used high-gloss cabinets in ABSTRAKT gray and white with two LACK open shelves above the counter. We used smaller appliances that don’t need special wiring such as an undercounter fridge, a microwave in a custom-designed base cabinet and a cappuccino machine for the coffee enthusiasts.
Here’s the full measurement and pricing information for this IKEA basement kitchenette:
Additional tips from our designers:
- Countertops: Stainless steel countertops convey a cutting-edge contemporary look. We used a NUMERAR countertop in black with a metal edge effect.
- Appliances: Update your old appliances with new ones that are more energy efficient for your IKEA basement kitchenette. Use compact appliances. Cut costs by only selecting those appliances with features that you’ll actually use.
- Lighting: Basement kitchens can seem dark and dreary without enough light. Install an assortment of light sources to add variety and accommodate your kitchen needs.
- Cabinet selection: By installing lighter color cabinetry, light will be reflected back into the room and not absorbed as it is with dark colors. We used shiny ABSTRAKT AKURUM cabinets. To reduce visual clutter, we also used horizontal cabinets with lift-up doors at the wall.
- Sinks and faucets: Keep it simple. Include a smaller sink bowl and a matching faucet in a minimalistic design, like the ELVERDAM single lever faucet. The FYNDIG single bowl inset sink is a good choice.
- Accessories: Open shelving will keep your kitchen clean and open. We added floating LACK shelves to provide storage and display space.