A kitchen is much more than just cabinets. Your IKEA kitchen design will require more than just the cabinets to be complete and functional. If you’re using IKEA’s Home Planner, many of these items are not obvious at first glance. However, you’ll definitely need them to install your kitchen!
Be sure to include the following 5 essential items for a functional IKEA kitchen design:
Avoid stressful delays and unnecessary extra charges from contractors or shipping companies. Keep in mind that IKEA cabinets are slightly different from standard kitchen cabinets. However, this is not a bad thing – It’s what makes IKEA kitchen designs so practical and adaptable to any space!
5 Essential items for your IKEA kitchen design
- PERFEKT panels: IKEA has many different kinds of panels for different situations. Cover panels need to be installed on exposed cabinet sides for a finished look. Fronts for integrated appliances are not only used for integrated dishwashers or refrigerators, they’re also used for sturdy shelves, to frame large appliances, to trim large spaces above wall cabinets and as under-counter support. Just be sure to select the same panel color as your doors so that your cabinet colors are uniform.
- AKURUM adjustable legs: These 4 ½” high adjustable plastic legs support the base cabinets and are essential. Also, the toe kicks are attached to the adjustable legs. Four adjustable legs are required for each base or tall cabinet. In the case of corner cabinets, six legs are required.
- AKURUM suspension rail: This is a single rail from which your wall cabinets hang (an ingenious system because you won’t see any screws inside your cabinet). It’s made out of galvanized steel and it is 79” long. It’s wise to always buy a spare rail because you will probably need it. The cost for the suspension rail is only $6.
- PERFEKT plinths or toe-kicks: They cover the area between the floor and the bottom of your base cabinets and they are available in the same colors as the cabinets. This is where you attach your AKURUM adjustable cabinet legs.
- INTEGRAL door and drawer dampers: These are also knows as a “soft close door system” and are designed to work with INTEGRAL concealed hinge systems and add a smooth closing movement to your kitchen cupboard doors. They stop doors and drawers from slamming and allow a door to smoothly close when pushed.
To learn more must-haves and great design tips for your new IKEA kitchen, don’t forget to download our 6 FREE eBooks!